Sunday, May 2, 2010

Twin Pregnancy

Last saturday a young couple walked in to my chamber at Max Hospital.They looked visibly excited and happy.And I think they had all the reasons to be so.After an IVF treatment they had been blessed with twin pregnancy.They had come to me on recommendation of a fellow doctor(I am happy now after almost 3 years of practice in India my fellow collegues have started showing their confidence in me).The lady asked me a question which brought a smile to my face.Similar question 10 years back by a senior consultant at Lady hardinge medical college,where I worked as a senior resident for 15 days made me leave the institution.The question was doctor 'Do you have enough experience to handle twin Pregnancy?'This time I could understand the apprehensions of a would be mom but 10 years back just out of my college after postgraduation,I was offended.My answer was:It's a simple case,I have even performed difficult caseareans of twins  since I was second year PG student'.And I made a quick decision ,not necessarily right to leave the institution where a senior resident is thought incapable of handling something so very basic.It was my Good fortune to be trained in Gujarat where I have to accept that training is very good and systematic.
I promised this new patient of mine to write my next blog on twin pregnancy.This is just a prelude to my actual blog on multiple pregnancy which would be dealing with 'How is it different from a singelton Pregnancy'?It is surely high risk Pregnancy but not something over which one should loose one's sleep.So wait for my next post........Goodnight and take care.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there
is it necessary for twins to be taken out at
seven months or be born at normal term of nine months....

Dr Kaushiki Dwivedee said...

There is no Indication to deliver a normally growing twin pregnancy at seven months.
If there are certain complications associated with pregnancy then the case needs assesment.In a Normally twin pregnancy there is no reason to deliver before term.
In fact in a diamniotic dichorionic twin pregnancy ( Seprate Placentas and separate water bags) if both babies are head down (Cephalic),One can try for even a vaginal delivery very safely.
If there is any specific condition complicating the pregnancy,let me know and I would be in a better position to clear your doubts.

Anonymous said...

I had twins go full term and had a normal delivery at 38.5 weeks. So unless complications there is no need.. :)

Dr Kaushiki Dwivedee said...

Thanks for your input and shairing your experience.
We surely need Moms like you to share their experiences so that women don't end up having unnecessary caesareans :))
Congrats you being a proud mom of twin babies

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who is 6 months pregnant with twins, has serious diabetes with huge fibroids that keep multiplying and is constantly bleeding and recently she stopped feeling the babies moving.. can she lose both babies or hopefully one can survive and be normal. should she induce or can she keep holding on, what is the risk to her life? she is in a lot of pain and the doctor has told her to induce but she refuses.

Dr Kaushiki Dwivedee said...

How many weeks Pregnant is she............The aim would be to reach first 28 weeks and then if possible 34 weeks.
Diabets can be controlled by Insulin and with the help of diabetology team.She can get Ultrasounds called Bio Physical profile and serial scan to see if the babies are doing ok or in any danger.Not major risk to her life.Pain I can't explain as i have not seen her.Actually to give a unbiased opinion one needs to meet the concerned lady understand the details.......Yes it is a high risk Pregnancy but whether to deliver now or she can hold it for a while will need a physical assessment of her.

Anonymous said...

hi
My sister is pregant having twins.
she is now eight month pregent.All her reports are good but she is experencing pain in her bones espiecally in hand .She cannot hold things for long by her hand.will this problem persist post-pregency? also she has heat problem ,having high amount of boils on her face and body. What can be to avoid or atleast reduce it?

Dr Kaushiki Dwivedee said...

If she has reached upto eight months I am sure her treatment is under any capable doctor.Please sak her to share her concerns with her doctor who can help her with some tips.

Anonymous said...

Can u miscarrie one twin in the frist trimestor and the other one survive

Dr Kaushiki Dwivedee said...

I didn't get your question.Can you please elaborate on your question.

Followers