Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My OPD slots and waiting

Tody once again a Patient wished me to increase my OPD slot duration to 25 minutes per patient instead of 15 minutes to decrease the waiting time.Less appointments and thus less waiting.

Dear friends that is not possible at any cost because I can't sit for 2 hours in OPD and see only 4 patients.It isn't financially viable option either for me or the hospital.

There are few ways in which you yourself can help each other and help me in decreasing the waiting time.Better time management by all of us.

You realize that that your consultation time is 15 minutes please come prepared with your queries.If you wish to save time ,Please don't expect me to answer all the myths that are generated in your mind  by your google search or your mom or mom in law or your friend if you wish the appointments not to run late.At the moment I do answer even your  smallest query which can take up to many minutes .

Don't ask me such irrelevant questions like 'how much is the rate of baby's heart beat when I have already told you that it is normal.

Please come on time.

When asking questions Please don't keep on beating around the bush.Respect my time and automatically the schedule will run on time and thus your time will be respected too.

Other option is to let it continue the way it is............you keep on asking the questions to your heart's content and me answering them......I don't have any problem when your 15 minute appointment runs to 45 minutes because I feel you need to understand the treatment and your condition to take care of yourself better.But if the waiting time bothers you,let us all try to do our bit to stick to the 15 minute schedule.Don't yell or shout at the duty Manager.He/she isn't at fault.Don't complain against the front desk staff for my waiting time.It won't help as they are not the ones responsible for it.It is You and me.You because you have taken more than your stipulated 15 minutes and me because I have obliged you.Do you realize that in this process my opd supposed to get over by 8 pm ends by 10 pm.Do you realize that at the end I have waited along with you????Next time think over it while waiting........And also at times there can be patients whose medical history is so complex that they need to give me a detailed history and I do need to give them time genuinely as well.

Some one also told me that with increasing competition ( I think she meant a Hospital coming across the road).......if the appointments are delayed it will be a bad name for the Max Hospital. :-)) I find this comment really funny.And fortunately her husband also found it funny too.Pleaded her to keep quiet,reminding her that in this whole process she had already spent 25 minutes with me instead of her allocated 15 minutes.Reminded that she had to wait for hours for the doctor in South Africa too .  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of ur patients. You recommend epidural a lot but its known that it.causes fetal distress turning a normal delivery to c- section. Any comments ?

Dr Kaushiki Dwivedee said...

The statemnt that I recommend epidural a lot isn't correct( Though it is a beautiful method of pain relief during labour).I just give it as a pain relief option to all my patients at 32 weeks.The decision is theirs whether to go for it or not as I can't feel the pain of a Lady in Labour and she is the best person to take the decision.With me you get options with pros and cons.....and the decisions are yours.
What you are saying is an absolute MYTH.Epidural doesn't cause foetal distress.I don't know your source of information but it is misleading and incorrect.If rarely the maternal blood pressure falls down temporarily just after epidural administration,foetal heart beat can also come down but it is 100% corrected as soon as mother is given IV fluid and her Blood pressure comes back to normal.I don't have a special preference or dislike for epidural but if you wish your labour to be painfree you have just one option in Delhi and Gurgaon i.e epidural analgesia.MOREOVER STUDIES SHOW THAT EPIDURAL DECREASES THE RATE OF CAESAREAN SECTION BUT INCREASES THE RATE OF INSTRUMENTAL DELIVERY WHICH IS VACCUM AND FORCEPS.Hope this helps.Please let me know your source of information and the context in which you talked about and I can give you a case specific answer as well.

Dr Kaushiki Dwivedee said...

And secondly please feel free to express your identity.....It is ment to be an interactive blog and readers like you are most welcome to share their opinion or ask a question.

Followers