Sunday, February 2, 2014

Decaying Patient - Doctor relationship

Of Late I find myself mostly writing about patient doctor relationship.Am I getting Obsessive or actually there is a decay in the patient doctor relationship?Is it only me or is the world actually changing fast?Last week I took off from my max OPD as I was unable to handle the stress.Stress of dealing with the patients.No ,the issues weren't clinical.The issues were everything but clinical.

A young man comes to my clinic with his 'wife'.Claims to be an Army officer who can't tell where he is posted as he is in ínterrogation'.Doesn't want to take his wife to Army hospital as they admit for the smallest possible reason.Wishes to get termination of Pregnancy done.I advise them to come back to me with an ultrasound scan.Then after few days ,that Ármy officer'calls me that his wife is having severe abdominal pain post termination of Pregnancy with pills,which was conducted under my guidance.That left me surprised.Under my guidance? When was that?No we came to you but took the medicine ourselves.Great!! so how do I help you? He told me,''my wife is having severe abdominal pain'.What should I do? The natural answer was to bring her to the hospital emergency as obviously I can't do any operation at the clinic.So he lands up there with another couple.Now we know that she isn't wife but 'Fiancee'.Now this 'Fiancee'word has been so badly used misused by Gurgaon singles.If you copy the western ways of social values then why don't you have the guts to say the truth like they have.Anyways so after an Ultrasound to confirm the abortion and after first aid when the guy was asked to pay the bill,both the Army officer and his wife cum Fiancee had a strong urge for fag and they both wished to leave the hospital campus together.When asked by the Guard to go one by one to smoke this Army man calls me to tell me the 'misbehaviour' of the security department.When I told him that I can't sort this issue,he told me that he came to the hospital because of me so it was my moral responsibility to get the things done free for him.Why on earth? I can take care of your health issue but of course not of your social and financial issues.So,he tells me that in that case he will hang the phone.That left me speechless.Anyways.....I can't sort your bill.

There are many such stories..........A presumption amongst the youngsters that they can get away with anything and everything.Will bad mouth,leave a bad review on social networking site for the doctor.Sue the doctor.Say that corporate hospitals are looting them.........Then why do you come to these corporate doctors?Will that scare the doctor and hospital.actually when anything is misused it looses it's effect.No longer does these tantrums make any effect to us.But yes.....the trust is decaying.A patient should have full trust on his/her doctor and treating doctor should feel comfortable treating the patient.Suddenly it looks as if we are not on the same side of the table but as if we are opponents...........one ready to find fault and cry for a discount and another ready to get attacked and sued........Where will it take the health care system.very recently I saw a patient, who needed an opinion from haematologist and gynaecologist.And no one and I mean no one including me was ready to take a decision for her treatment.....we all were scared.The case was slightly complicated,the patient too confused and the doctors too scared.....we all told him to take her own decision.so who is the sufferer in the end......YOU!!

No comments:

Followers