Thursday, December 29, 2016

let it go to the dogs !!

It is a doggy story from beginning to end.Nothing about women or health or infertility.
Due to multifactorial reasons I got enrolled for my first 10 kms run scheduled for september 2016-Pinkathon ,Delhi.
The person who initially in 2015 had suggested me to try running,by that time had changed priorities.I had thought he would guide me so called training for long runs,never being an athlete or sports person.I was left with the option of trying it myself or run with the local running group,the timing of which was too early for my comfort.Being a late sleeper ,I needed my 8 hours of sleep an 5 am runs were not healthy at all for me.Other option was to quit that 10 kms.By God's grace I haven't quit anything which needed my solo participation.
I started with walks and to my amazement I had run my first 10 Kms in not too bad timings.But that run is a different story all together.I used to train and practice in my condominium myself,all by myself and You tube videos to guide.4 stray Indian dogs have been adopted by our condominium mates and they mutually co exist with us.
When I used to run,mid way around half the circle,4 of these dogs used to come along with me,join ,lick and pounce and play and do all what they could do to show their affection.It was annoying at first and slowly i got used to it.It became the daily routine.Why they liked me,I still don't know as not even once have I played with them or given anything to eat.
And then 20th November was Airtel delhi Half Marathon.My first 21 kms.Again I was alone to train.My friend has his own priorities,other friends who needed help and moral support and training.Anyways again these four guys followed me everyday at the same pace as mine.If I used to run they used to run .My walks made them slow down their pace.They had become my friends ,who derived pleasure of my company.For them no other gain from me mattered and neither I was of any use to them except occasional chats we would have on the running tract.
Now I have a pedigreed Beagle at home.Son of parents who have been show dogs and prize winners-Buddy.A nice little content four years old.Suddenly I was finding a change in his behaviour.He was ignoring me.What was the reason?And then we realised that all the family members used to give him some prize food as soon as they entered the home while I didn't as the deal was not to over feed him to improve his longevity.I felt bad.You can interpret me as a mean person who feels bad of a dog's behaviour or you can classify me as a person who is sensitive enough to feel bad even of a dog's behaviour.And I did rebuke him.
When I came down to run that  day,for the first time I realised the unconditionality of the love these stray dogs had for me.Why?I don't know but their friendship had nothing to do except for being with me for those hours as we were together.I was touched and now we are friends.I look forward to meet them when I go running and in their company I did my first 21 kms.I have patched up with the pedigreed Buddy by offering him his goodies off and on but what I value more is the friendship of street dogs ,who made a runner out of me.

No comments:

Followers