Monday, May 29, 2017

Stressed ???

Stress - It isn't uncommon word or rather it is an extremely common word.
Atleast 50 % of my patients are stressed.It leads to whole load of health problems.It has contribution in infertility,metabolic syndromes like PCOD,irregularity of periods,discordance in sexual and marital life and so on and so forth.

But why are we stressed? Who is responsible?Is it us?Is it our surrounding?Is it multifactorial?
Who can help us?How can one help oneself?

I am writing this post for two reasons.One -this is a very commonly asked question.Second-I think ,I am qualified to write it now.A stage in life where I can say I have learnt to handle situations in life in a way which has reduced the stress levels to a minimum.

Not long back I was a typical type A personality who was driven on adrenaline.Even today I am a type a Personality but I have learnt to tame that type A person in me.I let it be awake when I need it but at other times I make it have good rest.Yes....thats correct you need to take good rest,detach yourself from the mad rush around you to perform more effectively and more productively .

After so many years in my profession and also my life,I realize,events are predestined.Though one should give one's best in whatever one does,nothing is in one's hand.Once I could feel this and make myself believe in this theory 70 % of my stress was relieved.Secondly ,the definition of success has changed for me.It no longer means the biggest player in the market ( number wise).I enjoy what I do.But excess of anything is bad,including enjoyment.The moment one increases one's work load beyond a certain limit the performance and productivity falls down.Recently there was a Lady admitted under surgeons for some general surgery related problem.She had an incidental ovarian cyst as well which she wished to get removed in the same sitting.Now due to whatever reason,it was convenient for the surgeon to operate the Lady late in night around 10 pm.In my opinion elective surgeries are best done in elective hours for best outcome.So what I did was I refused to operate .That lady had not come for me.For her it didn't matter who the treating gynaecologist was and thus I requested the surgeons to call some one else,which they did.

I saved myself from a stressful situation.Previously I would have operated her even at 10 pm in the night against my own wishes and belief and a tired body and mind.It would have given me 12 - 13 k but I would have lost my health and sleep and of course would have been an unsafe tired surgeon.

It is just an example .The situations are varied and you will have to find your ways to minimize your stress levels.

Another change - now when in theatre I am not worried of the waiting list in OPD.Things need to be prioritized.An emergency or on going active surgery takes priority over an OPD patient.If unhappy to wait,there are other consultants available around and am sure they can be taken care of.There is no point trying to be omnipresent. 1300 OPD fees ,isn't worth a complication in OT or a law suit in court.
INR

Now my own health is my priority.I insure to take 2 to 3 hours out for me in my 24 hours for my health and exercise.All the joys and pleasures in the world can be felt only till we have a healthy body and mind for which it should be treated as a temple and should be worshipped.

Lastly ,now i don't think any loss is irreparable accept the loss of life .So ,I don't fear the future.There is no question as what next?

These are few of the changes ,which I think has helped me immensely.Try to incorporate in your life and see if that helps an irregular period or a failing marriage or dry sex or endometriosis or makes you conceive .

No comments:

Followers